[LMB] re: Women's status in old British law OT:

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Mon May 8 23:36:01 BST 2006

> From: J Selin <harimad2001 at yahoo.com>
> Date: 08 May 2006 20:31
>
> >> I (Harimad) mention a couple examples of women's status
> >> under coverture, including inheritance difficulties and being
> >> lumped together with children and idiots.
> > Little Egret disagrees
> (full text below for brevity)
>
> Time check here: to what period are you referring?  I'm talking
> midish Victorian as an endpoint ... say 1880 or so.

The endpoint is when English law was reformed. Married Woman's Property
Acts 1870 & 1882. (slightly different in Scotland).

The period up to this was what I was referring to. Miss Coutts was about
1820 and 'Wife could sue a Railway co' was [Brockbank v Whitehaven Rly
(1862) 7 H. & N. 834]

I have all these in stock because mistatements are common, eg "wives had no
independent status" which should be "..had significantly limited legal
status..." (Professor Slapper of the OU in The Times).

Little Egret