[LMB] re Stereotypes was DOS Attack, Iraq Style... OT:

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Wed May 10 15:33:08 BST 2006

Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> J Selin wrote:
>
>>>Personally, I'm more disturbed by Disney's
>>>ugly=evil/evil=ugly, beauty=good/good=beauty,
>>>young=hero, old=villian setup than I am
>>>about hair color.  A few bad women are beautiful
>>>but name me one good one who's ugly.
>

> Harimid:
>
>>But is it fair to slam Disney for that?  It's a
>>meme that hardly started with them -- IIRC,
>>that comes straight from many of the original
>>fairy tales.

	<ahem>  That wasn't Harimad, that was me.  Not that I *mind* being
mistaken for Harimad, you understand, but Harimad might well object to
being incorrectly made responsible for somethign *I* said.

> Personally, I'd rather look at attractive people than
> ugly ones. I just don't always agree with Hollywood
> about what's attractive.  The people I consider
> attractive aren't necessarily what you would consider
> attractive, and a lot of it's based on how the
> personality shows through anyway.
>
> But in cartooning, you can't rely on subtleties.

	I suppose it might be *possible,* but I don't think even Disney has a
sufficient animation budget.  Not to mention that the technology isn't
quite there yet -- the CGI "Final Fantasy" movie came the closest so
far, and it still creaked around the edges, despite how carefully the
animators played to the strengths of their rendering engines and avoided
the things they were weak at.
	Of course, a decent script would have helped, too.

> This pattern didn't begin with Disney and won't end
> with him.  Nor do I think it should.
>
> Besides, there are many good old people in Disney.
> They just aren't the protagonists.  Again, this isn't
> just an attribute of Disney stories.

	And even ugly protagonists, if you count "Hunchback of Notre Dame."  I
know a lot of people slammed it, but frankly I think that, for an
attempt at making a child-accessible version of the original story, the
Disney version actually did pretty well (not to mention pushing the
limits of the PG rating pretty hard).  The solo musical number where the
priest is justifying his actions ("It's not my fault -- it was God's
plan -- he made the devil stronger than the man") is chiilingly good IMO
at generating a protrayal of that kind of mindset that's still
accessible to the average Disney audience demographic.