[LMB] (news) Miles, mais oui!

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri May 12 21:28:29 BST 2006

Hiya --

    I am pleased and bemused to report that I have signed an agreement
with an entity called MC Productions or Soliel Productions in Tolouse,
France, for a French-language comic book adaptation of _The Warrior's
Apprentice_, to be released in three volumes.  I am told they are one of
the major players in this very unfamiliar-to-me field.

    No, I will not be involved in the process -- I have no expertise at
all in this medium or language.  Let a hundred flowers bloom, etc.  I'm
also told that the comics medium in France holds a very different place
in the hierarchy of literary status than it does in the States, which is
probably all to the good.  Curious 20th century love child of film and
literature that modern comics seems to be... not illustrated books so
much as movies on paper.

    It's fortunate that since I moved to Minneapolis I have friends who
have introduced me to modern comics/graphic novels etc.  Boy, things
sure have changed since I was reading, at around age 8, the adventures
of Huey, Louie and Dewey  from the collection of the kids across the
street.   (I never had any comics of my own, as a child.)  Happily,
people up here got me into _Sandman_ , and I went, "Ah.  I see now...".

    Ta, L.