[LMB] (news) Miles, mais oui!

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Fri May 12 21:44:01 BST 2006

--- Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
wrote:

>     I am pleased and bemused to report that I have
> signed an agreement with an entity called MC
> Productions or Soliel Productions in Tolouse,
> France, for a French-language comic book adaptation
> of _The Warrior's Apprentice_, to be released in
three volumes.

Hooray!

This is exciting.

The world of comic books doesn't overlap much between
European comics and American comics, and I'll have to
make excuses to browse local French bookstores, but...
Wow.

> I'm also told that the comics medium in
> France holds a very different place
> in the hierarchy of literary status than it does in
> the States, which is probably all to the good.

Oh, yes. It's highly respected, as a storytelling
medium and art form. As it should be in North
American, too. I would like to think this is changing.
 Certainly comics adapted to movies are giving them a
high profile.  Problem is, the movie versons of comics
are not necessarily as good as they should be...
Sorry, that's a subject I like to rant about.

> Curious 20th century love child of film and
> literature that modern comics seems to be... not
> illustrated books so much as movies on paper.

That's about it.  But not quite that either.

> It's fortunate that since I moved to Minneapolis
> I have friends who have introduced me to modern
> comics/graphic novels etc.  Boy, things
> sure have changed since I was reading, at around age
> 8, the adventures of Huey, Louie and Dewey  from
> the collection of the kids across the
> street.

Ah, those were the days! I'm glad that your friends
have been helping to educate you in the matter.  Comic
books are a source of great pleasure and interest for
me.

> Happily, people up here got me into _Sandman_ ,
> and I went, "Ah.  I see now...".

Sandman was magnificent.  Frankly, I like Neil
Gaiman's writing for comics better than his novels,
but don't tell him I said that.

namaste,
Elizabeth