[LMB] HH chapter 16

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 14:26:58 BST 2006

Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:
>Ah, so Wencel was the hallow king of the Wealding who
>was thrown into the mass grave to die with all his
>people on top of him.  And be reborn, and reborn....
>In search of  a victory that never came.
>[...]
>And Ingrey is his heir.  Interesting link of spirit
>and genetics.

Hmm.  Slightly reminiscent of a passage from Brust's _Jhereg_:

-----
"And Morrolan doesn't have the skill to create chaos?  Poor fellow.
How can he live without it?"

Aliera chuckled.  "It isn't a skill one can learn.  It goes back to
genes again.  So far as I know, it is only the e'Kieron line of the
House of the Dragon that holds the ability--although it is said that
Kieron himself never used it."

"I wonder," I said, "how genetic heritage interacts with reincarnation
of the soul."

"Oddly," said Aliera e'Kieron.
-----

In this case, I suppose it comes down to how the people who set up
the spell defined who was the king's heir, so that the spell would
have a clearly-defined target without being limited by the knowledge
of the spell-casters.  That's one immensely flexible and powerful
curse..!

Joel