[LMB] OT: New Engladn flood

quietann quietann at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:29:30 BST 2006

Reporting in from Andover, MA.  We have had 14 inches of rain since Friday
night (so far; we could get another inch or two today).  We live in an old
farmhouse with a dirt floor basement and fieldstone foundation, so water in
the basement is inevitable.  However, the sump pump fell over and shut
itself off sometime on Sunday, and there was about 4 inches of standing
water in the basement on Sunday night.  At five inches, water can get into
our boiler, which is set up on a concrete pad.  The dehumidifier was still
running, with its electrical cord underwater.  That was scary!

Two pumps took care of the standing water, but we still have a cute little
babbling stream going right through the center of the basement to the sump!

There's a little bit of flooding in the low spots on our property, and I
won't be able to plant my tomatoes until things dry out a bit, and mowing
the lawn (which was about 5 inches tall before it started raining) is going
to be a real chore...

quietann at gmail.com

aka "The Accidental Jewess"