[LMB] OT: Charles Stross' Merchant Princes Book III

Mitch Miller mitchmiller at entertainmenttax.com
Wed May 17 18:00:33 BST 2006

Bought the first two on recommendation from the list and really
enjoyed them, so I pre-ordered the third - in hardback!- and stayed
up late last night reading it.

Very disappointed.  In the month or two (story-wise) since the last
book, the characters have changed their attitudes, plans, and actions,
with no transition and the thinnest of explanations.  I can't abide that.
It's as if the dog ate the author's series outline and he decided to
recreate it from memory -- after eating some bad fish!  He used that as a
plot device in the last book and must have become so enamored of it that
he decided to apply it to the series as a whole.

If you like the series, save your money, wait for the paperback or get
your library to buy it. Two thumbs down.

Mitch Miller