[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Sat May 20 22:21:19 BST 2006

At 01:05 PM 5/20/2006, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

>A lot of the frugal living advisors and the energy saving
>advisors suggest washing your laundry - all of it - in warm or
>even cold water.  I consider the nature of soiled underwear and
>cleaning rags and shudder. Isn't this unsanitary? Or do they
>use disposables?
>
>Pat, doing what I've done for 60 years

Not only the bio-hazard issues, but grease doesn't stay
dissolved in cold water very well, and my brother finally lost
use of the sewer line from the garage apartment here on the
property when years of washing his greasy/oily mechanic's
uniforms, greasy clothes, washable firefighting gear in cold
water finally accumulated to the point flow through the sewer
lines below his (then) house slowed to a trickle and put a stop
to anything that used more water than simply flushing the
toilet/loo/john.

And, a handy hint from someone who had greasy food service
clothes that got to smelling of rancid grease.  To get the funky
rancid smell out, wash in hot water with an adequate amount of
detergent for ten minutes or so, set the timer back to the
beginning of the wash, and then add a very healthy amount of
chlorine bleach that's been severely diluted before you *very*
slowly trickle it into the washer.  With these precautions you
can use this on black clothes without color loss or
spotting.  My black and grey, woven, polyester and
polyester/cotton uniform pants and skirts had this done to them
about once a month for years.  Chlorox bleach is preferred
because some of the other bleaches I tried this with had
additives that will not rinse clear of the fabric.

The Other Pat, Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan  zafaran at sff.net  zafaran at fastmail.fm *
* AIM:  zafaran                 yahoo: zafaranswan       *