[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Michael R N Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat May 20 23:14:28 BST 2006

> From: PAT MATHEWS <mathews55 at msn.com>
> Date: 20 May 2006 18:05
>

> A lot of the frugal living advisors and the energy saving advisors
suggest
> washing your laundry - all of it - in warm or even cold water.  I
consider
> the nature of soiled underwear and cleaning rags and shudder. Isn't this
> unsanitary? Or do they use disposables?
>
> Pat, doing what I've done for 60 years

A SRN family friend had the phase "sterile but not clean" to cover
pre-soaking in dilute clorox or other bleach.

Same for biological (enzyme) detergents perhaps.

But "warm or even cold water" isn't a well defined temperature. British
"warm wash for synthetics" is 40 C (104 F) and I have been using that
setting for everything for upwards of 20 years but some listees may have
'cold' which is warmer than that.

Little Egret