[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Sun May 21 00:07:49 BST 2006

At 06:14 PM 5/20/2006, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
>But "warm or even cold water" isn't a well defined temperature.
>British
>"warm wash for synthetics" is 40 C (104 F) and I have been
>using that
>setting for everything for upwards of 20 years but some listees
>may have
>'cold' which is warmer than that.
>
>Little Egret

Where I am, at least in cooking terms, 40 C is considered warm,
and I had war with one of my managers at McDonalds because she
considered "warm" to be much colder than that--about 85 F.  She
got severely on my case because my sink of sanitizer solution
for final rinsing of the dishes when I did breakfast wash was
slightly steaming and the temperature was 106 degrees F (about
40.5 degrees C) She finally shut up when I got one of the
reagent strips that the health inspector uses and stuck it in
the water and showed her it was a full deep purple where all the
chlorine was useable, and it had parts per million in excess of
what the health inspector required.  Had to use the same
argument with a manager who got on my case because I wasn't
changing my sanitizer multiple times during the time span it
took to wash all the equipment that was used to cook breakfast
in the restaurant.  Because I used proper washing and
pre-rinsing procedures to get all the soap off the items before
I immersed them in the sanitizer, and because I pre-scrubbed the
sink to get anything that remained on the stainless steel from
other folks use of the sinks before I even started loading the
sanitizer I didn't deactivate the sanitizer.  I've literally
asked the health inspector to check my sanitizer levels with his
reagent strips before I let the water out if I was still there
when the inspections were being made.  I was, quite literally,
at times, the only one who could keep the health inspector
happy.  There were folks who joked that once I finished
breakfast wash, that you could literally eat off the sinks and
walls they were so cleaned and scrubbed.

Cold water for the washing machine here is whatever temperature
comes out of the mains in the ground, and can be as low as in
the 40 degree F range (around 10 degrees C range) or a bit lower
in the winter.

Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan  zafaran at sff.net  zafaran at fastmail.fm *
* AIM:  zafaran                 yahoo: zafaranswan       *