[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Marna Nightingale marna at marna.ca
Sun May 21 01:09:29 BST 2006

PAT MATHEWS wrote:

> A lot of the frugal living advisors and the energy saving advisors
> suggest washing your laundry - all of it - in warm or even cold water.

Detergents have gotten better at handling cold water.

Get one that says it is intended for cold water use and you can keep hot
for special occasions.

I use hot:

For whites.

Once every two months or so on bedding, towels, etc, for dust-mite control.

For heavily soiled loads where grease is an issue.

Everything else does well in cold, and my clothes last better, I find.

There are some tricks you can play with detergent for frugality and
environmental impact, and they're GOOD for your clothes.

Use 1/3 to 1/4 of the recommended amount. It WILL get your clothes
clean, as long as you spot treat anything that needs it.

Add washing soda, or baking soda, instead of more soap, to heavy soil
loads.

Add a tiny bit of bluing, instead of extra detergent, to your most loved
whites.

Once every couple of months or so, do your laundry on warm or hot with
no detergent. The clothes will get clean, and you get the detergent
residue out of them.

Marna.