[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: Laundry

Lucy Chubb lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au
Sun May 21 13:50:31 BST 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 11:05:58AM -0600, PAT MATHEWS wrote:

> A lot of the frugal living advisors and the energy saving advisors suggest
> washing your laundry - all of it - in warm or even cold water.  I consider
> the nature of soiled underwear and cleaning rags and shudder. Isn't this
> unsanitary? Or do they use disposables?

As someone else said... different detergents handle hot/cold differently.
Here we can get ones specifically targetted for use of cold water. The
right detergent will emulsify the fats so they don't congeal in cold
water and some/most(?) also contain enzymes to break down the fats and
remove them from clothes.

We have always used cold water except for exceptionally dirty items. Even
when we don't use cold, we only use warm... never hot. Anything soiled
(e.g. when a child wets her bed/soils clothes) is soaked in oxygen bleach
first then washed in cold.

This means that almost all our washes get done in cold water. We also use
an "environmentally friendly" powder which uses eucalyptus oil as one of
its "gunge removal" elements.

We've never had a problem.

LucyC