[LMB] Pronunciations

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon May 22 17:40:26 BST 2006

At 11:57 PM 5/21/2006, Kalina Varbanova wrote:
>On 5/22/06, Mark A. Mandel <thnidu at yahoo.com>
>wrote: > > Umm. First. Sorry, Kalina, but there
>are not more vowels in "AIR-al" than > in
>"barrel". More vowel LETTERS, but not more
>vowels. Kind of the way > "ÄÁÞÁ"/"dacha" has
>four letters in Russian and five in English to
>represent > the same pronunciation. Hm. I admit
>it may be my ignorance - I just hadn't heard
>anybody using an "i" sound before the "r" in
>Barrel, nor an "a" sound after the "r". Which
>isn't saying much - I haven't lived all _that_
>long in an English-speaking country, and I am
>well aware I have heard but a small fraction of
>- yes, I know, dialects. Thanks :) Kalina -- You
>have two hands. One to help yourself and one to help others. </x-flowed>

For some reason, your post came through exactly
as quoted above.  You might want to try another
Mail reader or something.  And stop using HTML, *please*.

There is no "i" sound in "air", either,  It
rhymes with "mare" (in which there is no "e"
sound, for that matter).  I think the sound is
called a "long a", the sound of the letter when
it is named, as "A is for apple".

There are always counter-examples in English of
any pronunciation.  I am one of those who can't
tell the difference between Mary, marry, and
merry, for instance, all of them rhyme with airy,
berry, carry, Gary, harry, Jerry, Kerry, Larry,
nary, Perry, tarry, very, and wary to my ears.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net