[LMB] OT:AKICIF ADD

Patricia A. Swan zafaran at sff.net
Sat Oct 7 01:48:20 BST 2006

At 04:14 PM 10/5/2006, H R Stockert wrote:
>One thing to check for seriously is an allergic sensitivity to
>foods in the child's diet.  Often a cereal reaction.   Not
>always present, but in enough cases that it's worth the cost of
>additional testing.

May I *strongly* second this suggestion.  From what I know *now*
these factors are probably at the root of the childhood obesity
that is still haunting me 50 years after I started eating cereal
as an infant.  After a year of throwing up formula constantly, I
started eating solid foods, they thought I was just fine, and I
became the essentially-invisible, low-priority child that was
constantly abused (school was Hell) because I was fat (being
nerdy, and a bookaholic once I was out of primary school, didn't
help either).

In retrospect, I'm allergic to wheat, and/or I've had some
degree of celiac disease all my life.  We didn't really start
looking at this stuff until after I picked up multiple allergies
and sensitivities as an adult that require me to live on heavy
doses of antihistamines/anti-leukotrines (when I can afford
them) to have a semi-normal life.

It's severely frustrating to find out that all the abuse I've
taken because of my morbid obesity {and the eating disorder from
being put on dextroamphetamine and thyroid hormone as a child to
force me to lose weight} could have been avoided by realizing I
had chronic allergies.  With an ultra-low-fat,
high-complex-carbohydrate vegetarian diet that has the problem
grains stripped out, I've almost effortlessly lost around
seventy-five to a hundred pounds so far, and for the first time
in my life I'm sure I'm going to lose the next hundred, too.  I
will be down to a normal weight for the first time since I was a
year old.

I hope your child does not have hidden allergies driving his
symptoms, but if they are, you now know to look for them and do
something before it has a negative effect on the rest of his life.

Good Luck

Pat in North Carolina

--
* Patricia A. Swan  zafaran at sff.net  zafaran at fastmail.fm *
* AIM:  zafaran                 yahoo: zafaranswan       *