[LMB] OT:AKICIF ADD

Tzivia Adler tadler at yeshivanet.com
Mon Oct 9 03:42:27 BST 2006

From: "Azalais Aranxta" <tiamat at tsoft.com>
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Marna Nightingale wrote:
>> ADHD meds are STIMULANTS. You'd have to be fairly deranged to keep on
>> feeding them to a pile of unruly kids who did not need them in the hopes
>> that it would make them EASIER to manage.
>
> I second everything that Marna said.  If your child does not have
> ADD or ADHD, stimulants will make him worse, not better.

so if he doesn't need them, we'll likely know immediately

> In my case, this was enough black tea to wire most people for
> sound, every day starting at about 7 AM until I go to sleep at
> night.  It doesn't prevent me from sleeping.  Why?  Because I
> have ADD, and I am calmer with it than without it.  Caffeine is a
> stimulant.

speaking of alternate responses to drugs - caffine puts me to sleep -
literally.  there was coffee in the honey cake i ate recently, and within
two hours ofe eatting it, i fell asleep - for five hours.  that's five hours
i could have used :(
who knew there is coffee in honey cake?

> So, I'm in favour of *trying* the drugs.  If they do not work,
> and they do not help, then discontinue them.  If they do work, he
> probably needs them.  If they don't work, you'll be able to tell;
> they'll make matters worse.
>
> Because ADD/ADHD kids do self-medicate, starting as early as they
> can get their hands on stimulants, legally or not.  And you want
> to prevent that before your kid is drinking 10 cups of coffee a
> day, smoking cigarettes or doing coke.
>
> ~malfoy

*sigh*  there are so many newspaper articles about children who were
medicated to make them 'good kids' and never really needed it... i suppose
that people who take ritalin etc. and really need it don't write long,
horrified articles, and neither do their relieved parents.

ziviya, hoping to number among the relieved parents.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.