[LMB] OT: Walking to school

Rowena morgaine at zonnet.nl
Fri Oct 13 18:34:12 BST 2006

In Amsterdam walking or cycling to school is quite normal, both
elementary school as high school. Remember  a drivers license can only
be obtained by 18year olds or older. So there is not the same car
culture amongst youngster like in the US. Parking space in Amsterdam is
hugely expensive, if you'd want you car parked somewhere in the city
during the day it can cost up to 4,40 euro an hour.
Also, many spots are hard  to reach by car.  Nevertheless, suburbs will
undoubtedly know a lot of  schools where there are more parents who
drive their kids to school. But I cannot imagine any school where they
look down on you for cycling or walking your kids to school.

As for kids playing out of their parents reach. In my part of town there
are loads and loads of kids playing. All day.  I must admit I do think
they are let outside a bit to much, seeing a 6 year old and a 3 year old
playing 10 o'clock at nigh for example.... Yes, I live in a poor area,
very small houses, majority of the people are either of a Moroccan or
Turkish background. BTW, there is a wealthier (and whiter) area near by
and you see the same amount of children playing outside, only less late
and not the very little ones.

I was just this week reminiscent with my mother, about how my sister and
me were sent out to buy a newspaper at the kiosk around the corner. We
bought a newspaper and got a bit extra money for sweets. It was next to
a very busy street, we were 5 and 3 years old. No problems. (26 years ago).

Rowena