[LMB] Vorhalas

James Burbidge james.burbidge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 21:47:37 BST 2006

On 14/10/06, Peter H. Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:
> At 01:11 PM 10/14/2006, Kalina Varbanova wrote:
> >On 10/14/06, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
> >>Is it possible that there's a member of the
> >>Vorhalas clan who's defected to the Progressives? (And if so, would
> >>she refer to him by the unadorned last name?)
> >>
> >>Any thoughts?
> >
> >Well, Ivan is referred to as "Vorpatril", here and there (thinking, in
> >ACC, I think, when he complains about his mother's colleagues
> >preparing the wedding addressing him, instead of a manly "Vorpatril").
> >And his political views are... not quite close to "the" Vorpatril
> >(meaning Count Vorpatril). So I would guess that is possible. After
> >all, there are 60 counts which means only sixty Vor names - and a lot
> >more Vor folks. Considering that the other two are not Vor at all,
> >it's definitely not politics at the level of the Council of Counts,
> >either (and, IIRC, it's a non-vor, Racozy, who follows as prime
> >minister).
>
> Textev for only 60 Vor names, please.  It's a military caste, not a
> list of names of Counts.  I don't get the impression, for instance,
> that Ekaterin's family were descended from counts, but she is definitely Vor.

Actually, there is a discussion in ACC over the relationship between
the Vorvanes and the VorVaynes which must take as its assumption that
_not_ everyone with the same or similar name is related to the same
head-of-family (i.e. count); and this can be cross-indexed with
references to Lord Vorvane's family in a Dendarii-resolved hostage
crisis.