[LMB] Re: Patricia Briggs

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Mon Oct 16 14:26:42 BST 2006

I asked about Patricia Briggs and Katherine said:

> Yes, and I find that Ward (in Dragon Bones and
> Dragon Blood, both of
> which I like a lot)

What, you mean there's a sequel?  I am halfway through
"Dragon Bones" and I'm enjoying it enough to continue.

> reminds me of Miles for some reason--you know,
> except for Ward's being large and slow of speech and
> feeling that acting smart would be death.
> Does anyone else have that reaction, or am I crazy?

LOL. I can't say the similarity jumped out at me, but
now that you mention it, I can see it: Ward, like
Miles, is a strategist, and there's more to him than
meets the eye.

No, you're not crazy.

I would say though that the main difference between
Ward and Miles is that Lois McMaster Bujold is a far
better writer than Patricia Briggs.  Not that there's
anything particularly wrong with Briggs (and some
thing about her books that are very good indeed).
Just that Bujold is an extraordinarily good thinker as
well as an extraordinary good writer and Briggs
doesn't have the same power of insight.

namaste,
Elizabeth