[LMB] SP: TSK:Beguilement - Chapter 1 (with spoiler warnings)

Elizabeth McCoy arcangel at io.com
Tue Oct 17 22:52:12 BST 2006

At 4:27 PM -0500 10/17/06, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:

>Tho' I suppose it is indirectly true, at a remove: in part TSK was a deliberate
>experiment on my part to see how central I could keep a romance plot, with all
>these other needful elements to juggle.  As I'd felt all my prior romance plots
>had been crowded off the page by  them.

*nods* I can see that.

It moved a _bit_ fast, perhaps, but I really really liked it so I'm not
going to carp. Hormones, anyway. Heeee.

And I really, really, really like the powered/not-powered dynamic stuff.

And, um, *babbles fangirlishly*.

>But mostly, it was written to be a pleasure to myself.  I was almost sorry to
>let it go out of my hands and into the big scary world, where it will have to
>take its lumps like every other book.

I'll be coddling mine, and I'm glad that you let it loose to be a pleasure
to others (well, to *me* {she said, selfishly}).

>*** Indeed.  It appears, as I more-than-suspected, that there will be a vocal
>minority of readers violently rejecting the work *because* it is a romance,

Likely not. I don't see it as a _genre_ romance, though, if that makes
any sense or provides any consolation. It's not following _quite_ the
same path as the various romance books of my mom's that I snaffled, anyway.

>   (I really should not read Amazon reviews.  Really.)

Read the reviews that jump up and down and babble in delight, instead!

>*** Not 5GU, either.  Totally different underlying "magical system".

I like that. One of my other favorite authors is Barbara Hambly, but
in at least three of her books she's used essentially the same
magical system. It's not a bad one, and I suppose it makes some sense
(they're all universe-hopping ones, it works out, so they may be "same
metaverse"), but it does link things in a way that my brain finds
unsatisfying sometimes.

So having a different supernatural system is nice.

(Besides, 5GU doesn't have magic; it has religion. At least in my
heart.)

--Beth, arcangel at io.com / archangel at sjgames.com  In Nomine Line Editor
http://www.io.com/~arcangel/