[LMB] Life catches up with Rene Vorbrettan

Derry Thompson derry at gloderworks.com
Fri Oct 20 22:06:38 BST 2006

Elizabeth Holden at azurite at rogers.com said on Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:53:28 -0400

>Is that it?  In enough proportion to change the
>demography of the population in ways that other
>influxes - say, the French Revolution, or the union
>with Scotland, did not?

It was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. I think the GIs did make a
significant contribution to the gene pool, I know at least five people
allegedly fathered by GIs. ;)

>I have a feeling that I might be missing something
>here but it doesn't add up to me.

I think that the post-war immigration mentioned by other was the real factor.

That said, during the war itself there were significant movement. Even
growing up in rural Buckinghamshireour next-door neighbours were Polish,
my infant school teacher was a German Jew, a good friends father was
from St. Helena, and there were two Italian families in the village.

--
Derry