[LMB] OT: HELP! Looking for spyware-scrubbers, virusbusters and firewalls for Macs

James cessnadriver at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 06:19:54 BST 2006

According to Mactracker (a useful program that tells the specs of all
macs, runs on Windows, iPod and MacOS X), your 2000-era iBook is the
iBook (firewire) model, which can run OS X (Tiger, even), if you
wanted to upgrade. If not, you're going to have to *work* at it.

If not, you really are going to have a hard time infecting it - the 50
or so viruses for it (there's a program called Disinfectant that's a
free virus scanner) are all pre-Internet era. The only way to spread
them is by downloading them, and they'd only infect files - they can't
spread over networks. You can probably find Disinfectant from some Mac
archives.

And Pre-OS X MacOS versions are practically impossible to exploit.
Thanks to the wierd way "classic" MacOS runs, and the lack of a way to
drop to a "shell", exploits are extremely difficult to create. Forget
about spyware, either - there is none that runs on Classic.

If you really wanted to be sure, get a firewire hard disk, format it
in Mac HFS+, and make a complete disk copy of it (just drag the disk
into the firewire disk). Unlike Windows, you can copy apps and OS by
copying them to the target disk. Then when you're done, restore the
files.