[LMB] Privilege of the Sword Sherwood

James Nicoll jdnicoll at panix.com
Thu Sep 7 22:35:28 BST 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Marna Nightingale wrote:

> James Nicoll wrote:
>
> Hmm. I think the relationships thing is definitely a flavour issue; I'm
> always faintly bugged by protagonists who, while attempting to survive the
> events of an adventure novel, have their personal lives in order and an
> unnervingly rational outlook on same.

 	I don't expect total rationality (I own nine cats and am both
allergic to them and prone to asthma -- my working model is that I am an
idiot). Actually, one of my favourite great figures from history had a
very amusing quirk which I think endears him to me in a way that being a
corrupt but skillful power baron could not: he married his wife under
somewhat dubious circumstances, having used his mighty power as a factor
of the Hudson's Bay Company to dissolve her previous marriage, and was
haunted by the idea that perhaps they were not quite legally married, so
he married her over and over, I suppose in the hope that at least one of
the marriages would stick. Without his love for his wife, he'd just be
another guy who once ended a Meti uprising with some well chosen words.