[LMB] Legacy: a review (contains spoilers)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Wed Aug 1 17:17:42 BST 2007

Commenting on my comments about Fawn, Laura said:

> I don't think she has a problem with travel as such.  But I do think
> she wants to settle into being a good wife and adult - and for her,
> the only model she's only had of that is the settled farm housewife.

I don't see Fawn as being tied to the models of her past.  Yes, it's what she knew, but she has
left that behind her on two occasions - when she left home at the beginning of Beguilement and
when she left home again at the end of the book. I don't think she feels committed to the Farmer's
way of life. It may be familar, but she knows she's left, and is in a different situation.

I agree she wants to be a good wife and adult, it's the word 'settle' I quibble with.  I don't see
her as wanting to 'settle' in any sense of the word.  She wants to be with Dag.  I think her
nature is more suited to travelling than to being in one place. On the whole. If given the
opportunity.

> She wants to be DOING, to be busy, to be working.

Yes, there I agree. But this isn't a matter of geography, either.

> Fortunately for her, knitting socks is an extremely portable project.

Yes, exactly.

> But I expect she'd feel more secure settling in as a farm wife.

I don't think so. I think that reluctance to settle as a farm wife in the time-honoured tradition
of her people is something she has been resisting all her life.  She proves it by getting pregnant
when unmarried, by walking out, by finding a non-Farmer to be her life-partner and leaving with
him.  I don't think she wants to stay on a farm.

> Figuring out how to translate that busy-working-productivity into
> their unsettled unsure life is going to be a challenge.

I think she's had a lot of challenges. This may be one of many. It strikes me as being one of the
lesser ones.

> But Fawn is clever and inventive - I expect she'll figure it out, and
> I look forward to seeing what she comes up with.

So do I!

namaste,
Elizabeth