[LMB] Ot: was potter free list: now book-swamping

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 17:28:01 BST 2007

 > > Thinking about the image - can you be swamped with books?

 Is this a regional difference in usage, or am I witnessing a joke?  I'd talk about being swamped
 with work (usually), swamped with memories, swamped with Christmas cards - no sense of wetness to
 it at all. Don't Americans talk about being swamped unless they're talking about swamps?

It's a joke. Having spent last week in a field of mud (closely resembling a swamp) I was pondering why all the verbs that are commonly used to describe an over-sufficiency of something had damp roots.

Even avalanches have a frozen water association. So I considered whether I could produce from my reasonably well-stocked word cupboard something that implied an arid sufficiency. But all the dry words seem to imply that you don't have enough of something.

Rachel

Brevity, clarity and cups of tea