[LMB] OT: sweater definitions

Kate Soley Barton kate.soley.barton at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 4 21:35:11 BST 2007

I have a question for the American/Canadian members of the list: I'm currently reading 'Grave Apparel' by Ellen Byerrum, and finding some of it confusing.

  At one point someone is described as wearing a white turtleneck, a red corduroy jumper (?) and a black Christmas sweater...To me on first reading, that looks as it she is wearing 3 high-necked, long-sleeved knitted garments that cover her top half, with nothing below except a pair of boots.

  What is a jumper by American / Canadian definition? Does cardigan mean the same as sweater?

  Confused,

  Kate Soley Barton (English)