[LMB] OT: sweater definitions

Laura Gallagher celticdragonfly at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:44:13 BST 2007

Kate Barton wrote:
> I have a question for the American/Canadian members of the list: I'm currently reading 'Grave Apparel' by Ellen Byerrum, and finding some of it confusing.
>
>   At one point someone is described as wearing a white turtleneck, a red corduroy jumper (?) and a black Christmas sweater...To me on first reading, that looks as it she is wearing 3 high-necked, long-sleeved knitted garments that cover her top half, with nothing below except a pair of boots.
>
>   What is a jumper by American / Canadian definition? Does cardigan mean the same as sweater?

A jumper by American definition is a woman's dress, sleeveless,
designed to be worn over an undershirt of some type - a white
turtleneck would be a fairly typical choice.

Two picture links:
http://tinyurl.com/ypxfo5
http://tinyurl.com/22kk9h

The first shows just a jumper, the second a jumper over a long-sleeved blouse.

The sweater might be a pullover type or a cardigan - a cardigan
opening down the front would seem more likely from the description,
but it could be either.

Laura Gallagher