[LMB] OT: sweater definitions

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Sat Aug 4 22:14:54 BST 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Kate Soley Barton wrote:

> I have a question for the American/Canadian members of the
> list: I'm currently reading 'Grave Apparel' by Ellen Byerrum,
> and finding some of it confusing.
>
>   At one point someone is described as wearing a white
> turtleneck, a red corduroy jumper (?) and a black Christmas
> sweater...To me on first reading, that looks as it she is
> wearing 3 high-necked, long-sleeved knitted garments that cover
> her top half, with nothing below except a pair of boots.
>
>   What is a jumper by American / Canadian definition? Does
> cardigan mean the same as sweater?

A jumper is a dress with deep armholes and sometimes a deep
neckline that is intended to be worn on top of a shirt or blouse.

She has the turtleneck on, this dress on top of it, and the
sweater is over top that.

What are they called in the UK?  I've heard "pinafore" but when I
hear pinafore I think of a fancy apron that has ruffles and ties
in the back.

~malfoy :)