[LMB] OT: travelogue

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 03:47:50 BST 2007

I've been reading Alexandra David-Neel's _My Journey to Lhasa_.
One passage brought home just how important a freedom it is on
Barrayar to move from one count's jurisdiction to another.

> To leave the country, to look for better land or less exacting lords,
> is not permitted.  A few ventured the flight and established them-
> selves in neighbouring provinces.  Having been discovered, they
> were taken away from the new home they had created and led
> back to Tashi Tse, where they were beaten and heavily fined.

David-Neel traveled to Lhasa in 1924, the first western woman to
do so.  She reminds me of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody, only
somewhat more adventuresome and not quite as modest :-)

See www.alexandra-david-neel.org and Wikipedia for more into.

Tom