[LMB] OT: book recommendation

catherine muir c_muir68 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:58:30 BST 2007

Just in case anyone doesn't have enough to read! - can I recommend the Gil
Cunningham books by Pat McIntosh?  There are 4 so far - the first is The
Harper's Quine and two of the others (in no particular order) are The
Nicholas Feast and St Mungo's Robin.  Whodunnits set in Glasgow in the late
15th century, a couple of decades before the Reformation hit, with good
research and characterisation.  They do have ongoing plot threads, so should
be read in order.

I bought the first one as part of a "3 for 2" package then spent the next
fortnight howking the other 3 out of the local libraries and devouring them.

Sorry, I don't think any of them are translated as yet.

On an "If You Like....." basis -

If you like Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books because you can walk round
Shrewsbury using them as a guidebook, then you should like these.   They are
not as sweet as the later Cadfael books,  and have a fair bit of
socio-political bite to them;   the layering of clue on clue is fairly done
(red herrings included).  If I were classifying them for film, I'd say a 12A
with the occasional 15 scene.