[LMB] OT: Bridge collapse

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:52:30 BST 2007

I'm not a huge news reader, so I miss a lot of stuff, but the little I saw
said that the bridge had recently
been examined, and was rated as needing repairs soonish but not urgently.
If that means that there is
a 1 in 100,000 chance of collapse (numbers I made up), then we'd expect a
bridge collapse every few
years since apparently we have approaching 100,000 bridges in the US at that
level of decay.

But it doesn't seem that unreasonable to leave a bridge open in that
condition.  Is there more info
out there that shows the bridge was more dangerous than reported in the
first days?  Do people here
know about the standards for bridge safety, and know if the bridge failed
them?

Here in Seattle we are shutting down one of the highways for big repairs,
which probably could have been
done last year, but there is no question it is a real big deal to do it.

Beth M.