[LMB] OT: its a sign (with obBujold)

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 02:28:17 BST 2007

>> Louann Miller wrote:
>> what signpost ever showed you that you were older/younger than
>> you thought?

> Mark Allums replied:
> Well, it's not a specific event, just the realization that I've
> beat Elvis.  I have lived longer than Mozart did, and John F.
> Kennedy, and a whole host of people that accomplished a life's
> worth of astonishing things in the same amount of time I have had
> on this planet, or less.

Mark, you just gave me a start: I am on the other side of being able
to say "When Mozart was my age, he'd been dead for two years."

For the most part I don't get such signs.  As a youth I was older
than my chronological age, as I got older I remained younger.  I was
25 for at least 15 years.  (My brother was 35 till he reached 32, at
which point he just got older.  Sense of humor, yes; frivolity, alas
no, not that lad.)

I didn't feel grown up till I became a parent and - pretty much at
the same time - got a new job in a new field.  Being responsible for
someone else's total welfare did it.  As did realizing I had many of
the job and people skills that my similarly new colleagues were
struggling to master.  (Taciturn, hard to fathom boss who was known
to bring his cranky moods to work?  No problem for me, I've had one
of those already.)

ObBujold: The relative ease of my move into this new field has led me
to say, more than once, that I finally stopped playing wall.

- Harimad