[LMB] OT: its a sign ...

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Aug 9 22:33:01 BST 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 5:45 PM, "Dorian E. Gray" wrote:
> Elizabeth said...
>> I feel actually a little embarrassed about looking old like this
>> when, as
>> everyone who knows me
>> can attest, I'm really only about 15 still and struggling to act
>> like an
>> adult.  My outward and
>> inward realities don't match any more.
>
> Mine haven't matched for years!
>
> I am, slowly, growing up in my mind.  I spent a long time being 17,
> and then
> I realised that I was probably about 23, and now I think I'm about 27.
> (I'll actually be 38 on Sunday.)  I might manage, mentally, to hit
> 40 by the
> time I die, but I'm not counting on it.

Yeah, I still don't feel like a grown-up, either.  Have I read
somewhere that my generation (I'm 54, so I guess generally the baby
boomers) has generally resisted becoming the adults?  My parents'
generation always seemed much more grown up and serious--maybe
because of the depression and WWII?  For a while I kept expecting
that one day I would be a real grown up like them, but now I don't
think it's ever going to happen.  It seems related that, while my
parents and I liked a lot of the same things, we didn't share tastes
nearly as strongly as my children and I (and my husband) do--for
instance, science fiction and fantasy, and particularly Bujold!

Or is it just that everyone looks more grown up from the outside than
from the inside?

Katherine