[LMB] Baby Boomers (was: Re: OT: its a sign ...)

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 00:44:00 BST 2007

--- Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

> Yeah, I still don't feel like a grown-up, either.
> Have I read
> somewhere that my generation (I'm 54, so I guess
> generally the baby
> boomers) has generally resisted becoming the adults?

As one of the younger members of Generation X (who
were born 1961-1980) born to older members of the Baby
Boomers (1945-1960), my impression has not been that
the BBs have resisted adulthood as much as they have
resisted *age*.

Even now, my parents (in their sixties) strenuously
resist any hint, suggestion or implication that they
might, possibly, for some reason, be considered
'senior citizens' or 'elderly'.  They will concede
'older'.  As will their contemporaries of my
acquaintance.

But do not, under any circumstances, for any reason,
breathe a hint to any of them that they might be
getting... (whispers) *old*.  Not if you don't want an
explosion that makes an Olympic Opening Cermony's
fireworks display look like a lone birthday cake
candle.

> Or is it just that everyone looks more grown up from
> the outside than
> from the inside?

Almost certainly that's a big part of it, yes.

Raye