[LMB] OT: tornadoes and hurricanes, was Bridge collapse

anmar mirza anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:49:54 BST 2007

On 8/10/07, Ross Ashley <redlion at sff.net> wrote:

> Size, Ziviya. Hurricanes are the giant tropical storms that form in the
> central
> Atlantic, swing west towards the Caribbean and then generally swing north.
> (The
> Pacific equivalent, with which Little Alex will be familiar, are
> typhoons.) The
> eye will usually be miles across, with winds in excess of 60 miles an hour
> blowing around the eye. Tornados are small, violent whirlwinds spawned by
> thunderstorms or similar conditions, with a core generally only feet
> across,
> but winds up to 150 miles an hour.

To add from tornado alley, tornados are short lived, usually minutes in any
given
area to a few hours for a storm spawning them.  While they can be small,
they can also be quite large with a large tornado having a central
destructive
path a half mile across with smaller tornados rotating around the larger one
increasing the swath to a mile or more.  The path of a single tornado can be
as short as a few hundred feet to many miles, and they are attracted to
trailer parks.

I have worked disaster response on several large tornados in my area and
have witnessed a couple.  I respect them way more than a hurricane which
gives you lots of warning they are coming.  Tornados can come right out of
the green (the sky often turns a really eery shade of green right before a
tornado is coming).

Anmar