[LMB] OT: tornadoes and hurricanes, was Bridge collapse

Alexandra Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:09:02 BST 2007

Hello,

On 10 Aug 2007, at 9:41 PM, Ross Ashley wrote:
> Atlantic, swing west towards the Caribbean and then generally swing
> north. (The
> Pacific equivalent, with which Little Alex will be familiar, are
> typhoons.) The

Curiously enough, HK just had her first Signal No. 8[1] level typhoon
in three years... [2]

little Alex

1. No. 8 is when kids get out of schools and grown-ups get out of the
office

2. Last year there were some pretty strong winds -- so strong that it
blew a rubbish bin into the air and almost hit a pedestrian, but the
HK Observatory didn't raise the No. 8 signal, and was severely
criticised.[3]

3. This year they learned their lesson and raised the No. 8 signal
even though some places were pretty quiet, but they raised it so
quickly that it caught everyone off guard, and the public transport
system had to play catch-up without much success -- most of the
subway stations were jam packed for hours, people had to wait an
extra hour for buses, the ferries all shut down early, leaving people
stranded... meaning, the HK Observatory will be severely criticised
again. I really do feel sorry for them...