[LMB] virus or exploit

James cessnadriver at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 01:36:03 BST 2007

On 8/12/07, Michael Bauminger <lmblist at mikebomb.com> wrote:
> Someone, somewhere, either has/had an exploit on their
> computer or some spammer figured out a way to harvest
> addresses from the archive, because I receive spam at this
> address everyday and I *only* use this address to
> communicate with the list (except I occasionally use it to
> communicate directly with listies). If I did not have a
> decent Bayesian filter in place (thank you to whoever on the
> list recommended PopFile http://popfile.sourceforge.net/), I
> would either be tearing my hair out or using a new address
> for the list every few months.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has an exploit. The
latest ones going around are quite virulent, and even the big
companies aren't immune (I've gotten spam from addresses from specific
companies - Toshiba and VMWare, for example), so I'm not surprised.
(These were the "You have an eCard from xxxx" - part of the new strain
of viruses going around. The second version of it is going around
sending those PDFs now...).

Of course, I just discard those - eCards are so 1997...

James