[LMB] Accents in TSK

Rachel Ganz rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 12:31:56 BST 2007

> A poster on Baen's Bar, where a really interesting and substantive
> discussion of TSK is presently going on, remarked that in his (English)
> head, he "heard" Dag and Fawn speaking with, of all things, East Anglian
> accents. (I'm not sure I even know what and East Anglian accent is.)
> Which leads to the question: how do the rest of you "hear" these and
> other characters speaking?
I don't hear accents in my head. All books are read in the same voice, which is a standard English one - possibly a combination of the voices I was read aloud to by as a child. I'm not a very aural person.
What really bugs me in audio versions of books is
a. bad reading. I would include Philip Pullman's reading of his own texts in this.
b. accents which get between me and the story. This may be an American accent on a book which I "know is English - even if it's fantasy", or a character accent. I bought my daughter Tony Robinson's reading of Wintersmith to listen to in the car, and I found that his accents for the witches and Tiffany were just "wrong". His accents for Anagramma was just fine though. Thinking about it, I think it's because the emphasis on words give it a slightly different meaning/characterisation than the one I would use.
c. mispronunciation of words/names, where I KNOW how it should be. For example, one reader of "The five children and it" pronounced the P in Psammead, when it states in the text that is wrong. And the word is repeated often enough so just when the irritation is worn down, it's prodded again,.
What I really like is a reading that delivers more than I had discovered - audio versions of Hardy have been a great joy for this.
Did my reading in the recent radio interview
> surprise you, and if so, in what way?

The first shock was that I felt I recognised your voice. It took me a couple of minutes to get over the strngth of the accent (from an English perspective) and then it became normal., and I just listened to the words.
Rachel
Brevity, clarity and cups of tea