[LMB] Accents in TSK

Mon Aug 13 14:47:23 BST 2007

Rachel wrote:
> c. mispronunciation of words/names, where I KNOW how it
> should be. For example, one reader of "The five children and
> it" pronounced the P in Psammead, when it states in the text
> that is wrong. And the word is repeated often enough so just
> when the irritation is worn down, it's prodded again,.
> What I really like is a reading that delivers more than I had
> discovered - audio versions of Hardy have been a great joy for this.

The mispronunciation thing really gets me - jars me right out of the
book.  I love the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood, and have
audios of most of the books.  The character herself says in several
books, "It's Phry-ne - like briny."  And yet on at least 2 the narrator
says "FRIN" (long I) through the whole book.  Agh.  Not to mention a
Robert Tanenbaum thriller, set in NYC, in which the villain speaks a lot
of Spanish and the narrator agonizingly stumbles over it.  And calls
HOUSE-TON Street HUS-TON (like the city.)  In NYC, it's HOUSE-TON.

Alison

Alison Hendon