[LMB] (news) Done! ...for a certain value of done

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Aug 15 03:42:38 BST 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
>     The final draft of _The Sharing Knife, Vol. 3: Passage_ went back to
> my Eos editor this afternoon.  Basically, I've stuffed the fully-edited
> manuscript into my end of the publishing pipeline, and it will emerge as
> a finished book in June, 2008.  It will come back to haunt me twice more
> before then, once as a copy-edit and once as galleys.

Congrats!

>     It's been strange to re-acquaint myself with this book.  I think
> this is the longest gap I've ever had between finishing the first
> submission draft and doing the edit pass -- I turned in the first
> version last fall, and we then let it lie fallow for as long as possible
> while I made tracks on #4.   Well.  So this was the book I wrote.  And
> all the should-have/could-have/might-have-been alternate possibilities
> for its content are now gone forever.  Good riddance to most of them,
> too.  As is usual for this stage, I have no idea what readers will make
> of it all.

We're glad to hear you're still happy with it and didn't feel the need to
tear it apart with a chainsaw ...

>     The first draft, according to my computer files, was started Dec.
> 27, 2005.  (This would be when I actually started typing -- I'd have
> been thinking about it and working up notes and doing research reading
> for some months before that.)  Final draft comes in at 134,197 words,
> 544 manuscript pages, 24 chapters.

Hmmm... is it deeper, or full of more action, or both?

> yet my editor scrawled on the last page
> (at the end of her two-weekend marathon edit session) that she thought
> it the most emotionally satisfying of the series so far.  Go figure.
> But then, she hasn't seen any of #4 yet, and I have.

So is this part of the sinister "get all your readers desperate for the
next book just after Legacy appeared so they're on tenterhooks for an
entire year" campaign? :-) :-)

Thanks very much for the update.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"The time of great punishment is long gone, gone with the great sinners.
This is an age of pinpricks, constant little bloodlettings that never have
time to heal. And this Hell must suit the age, always."
-- Peter S. Beagle, _The Last Unicorn: The lost version_