[LMB] (chat) The Sharing Knife, Vol. 3: Passage -- catalog copy

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Aug 16 19:49:27 BST 2007

Betsy Lightfoot jasinikc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:52:09 BST 2007

So they'll be going down the Mississippi on a raft, like Huck Finn? ;-) Or
will that be a different river?

***  Nope, different river.  I deliberately steered clear of Mark Twain
territory.  Going by geography, but not a lot of other factors, the
Grace River is analogous to the Ohio, and the Gray River to the
Mississippi.  And I've been on the Ohio; my dad had a houseboat out of
the port of Cincinnati, back in my late teens.  Back in *his* youth, for
vacation his Dad and he would put a canoe on a train and take it up the
Allegheny River, and take about two weeks to camp and canoe back to
home-town Pittsburgh.  (For non-Usians: the Allegheny and the
Monongahela join at Pittsburgh to become the Ohio River, which runs east
to west and eventually, about a thousand river miles later, joins the
Mississippi about halfway down.)

There was an amusing tale in my research reading about a sea-going
sailing vessel built in the port of Pittsburgh, early in the 19th C.,
arriving at some European port and having a heck of a time convincing
its portmaster where they came from, even with the aid of maps.  Or that
might have been, especially with the aid of maps.

And it's a flatboat, not a raft.  I became intimately acquainted with
all the distinctions, physical and social, among flatboats, keelboats,
and rafts in my research reading.

For a motherlode of flatboat images that I lately turned up to help the
prospective artist, Google wins again:

http://images.google.com/images?q=flatboat

And yes, the brother in question is Whit.

Ta, L.