[LMB] OT: its a sign... Grammatical grievance note

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Fri Aug 17 05:56:10 BST 2007

Warning, grammar police ahead...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samantha Banker" <sbanker1 at cox.net>

> Maybe not older than I thought, but a feeling of "it can't have been
> that long!"  This happened when I saw the 15 year anniversary edition of

15th anniversary,  the "anni" part of "anniversary" denotes  "year".... I
snarl everytime I hear some nitwit journalist on radio or TV say "[number]
year anniversary, because they're debasing the language [literally taking
its base away...] and promulgating it for OTHER people to copy.

> Cherryh's Foreigner at the bookstore.  It doesn't feel like it's been
> that long since I found the book on the shelf of the library.

I've never been able to get into the Foreigner books....