[LMB] OT: A trip down typographic memory lane

B. Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Sat Aug 18 04:08:41 BST 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:16:17 -0700 (PDT), Jill Tallman
<lettuce_in_fl at yahoo.com>
wrote:
 >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv69kB_e9KY

 >  A lovely look at the world of letterpress printing  :)

Yes, indeed! The last time I was in a letterpress shop was nearly
thirty-five years ago; Stan Bevington of Coach House Press here still
did fine letterpress printing for poetry chapbooks etc.

HE had litho presses for the ordinary print jobs, though, although
nothing Stan ever did was ordinary, really. (Fuzzy spot in a border line
on a church programme discloses under 20x magnification the line,
"Printed in Canada on Canadian paper by flipped-out acid freaks.")

What I grew up with though was a daily newspaper printed on a
multi-headed rotary letterpress, using semi-cylindrical lead alloy
plates cast from molds created by a Linotype machine, with the
photographs reproduced for the molds by rotogravure. 20 of us paperboys
would head over to the Palatka Daily News pressroom every day after
classes at the high school, and bundle our papers for delivery literally
"hot off the presses".
--
B. Ross Ashley http://brashley46.livejournal.com
http://brashley46.no-ip.info