[LMB] The Red Queen

Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan tora.smulders at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:44:30 BST 2007

On 8/19/07, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

>    My random read for the weekend was Matt Ridley's _The Red Queen: Sex
> and the Evolution of Human Nature_, bio-evolutionary stuff.  Vastly
> entertaining -- far more of a page-turner than the last novel I read --
> but, I note, it dates from the early 90's,
>     Any biologists or biology fans on the list read this one, and what
> did you think?  Is there something newer/faster/better to be read?

Darn.  I'm afraid I haven't actually read that one.  Or any of Matt's.
 I tend to read current research papers in my field rather than books.
 Been changing that a bit lately, but not too much.

>    Next up: _Sperm Wars_, by Robin Baker.

I started reading that a long time ago and really enjoyed it.
However, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the science -- at the
time it was written or now.

I did know a little bit of the field at the time, and though there was
some evidence for the sperm fighting, I don't think all the assertions
in the book are accepted fact as far as scientists were concerned.
But I'm not up on the field at all now.  Sorry.

Darnit.  I wish I could say more about either book.  I should probably
read Matt's since you enjoyed it and since I know the guy, it's nice
to read something he's written.  I can tell you a bit about him and
his family, but I suppose that's not of interest here [1].

-Tora

[1] Matt's wife is co-head of my husband's and I guess, now, my
"department".  She's really nice and she and their daughter came to
meet Sean soon after he was born.  And we get invited to their "house"
(estate?) for departmental parties and things, fun!