[LMB] The Sharing Knife, Vol. 3: Passage -- catalog copy

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 01:11:19 BST 2007

--- Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> Meg:
> > Not particularly.  It's not pejorative enough.
> > I had a very strong negative kneejerk reaction to
> Fawn's family.
>
> Interesting, because I found Fawn's family were
> within an acceptible range, and I came to
> particularly like her parents by the end of the
> book.

It's interesting; most of the people who say they
don't like Fawn's family seem to come from similar
situations - where, for whatever personal reason, we
sympathise with Fawn's desire to get *away* from her
family.  (Yes, I'm one of them.)

I can see *why* Fawn's parents and brothers acted the
way they did, I can see *why* they didn't have much
respect for Fawn, but I don't like it and I don't like
them.  Admittedly the parents are better than the
twins, but still.  Whit *is* the only one I would
willingly see again, and even so, I'm very glad he's
gotten away from that family too.

(I should probably mention that I too have personally
sworn never, under any circumstances, to go back to
live with or be a major part of my family; so I have
an underlying sympathy for those who make this kind of
break and stick to it.)

> Dag's family, I disliked and found unredeemable.

I actually had a similar reaction to Dag's family to
that I had to the Bluefield family: I understand, but
I don't *like*.  This is probably because I react to
my family much as Dag did to his, and for much the
same reasons.  Dag didn't like his family either!

Raye