[LMB] Shards of Honor & Sharing Knife

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 23:34:15 BST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Giselle O. <grfid2005 at gmail.com>

If you've ever grown up in a split generation household where the
parents immigrated from the Old World and hold on to Old World values, there
is no a-changing the worst of the bunch, and they really do pull punches
like what Dar and Cumbia did.

Um, huh? Pulling a punch is softening a blow: literally, pulling back your fist somewhat before or as the punch lands. Usually heard in the figurative sense and negative, as in "He pulled no punches in describing my shortcomings. I left feeling about one inch tall."

-- Dr. Whom
   Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel