[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Scott Raun sraun at fireopal.org
Sun Aug 26 00:44:50 BST 2007

I've got two books (OK, book and a series) I've been trying to get a
calibrated recommendation about recently.

1) _The Lies of Locke Lamora_, by Scott Lynch

2) _Old Man's War_, by John Scalzi (and sequels)

I'm going to ask in a couple of places - sorry if you see this twice.

My favorite currently writing authors include Lois McMaster Bujold,
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, David W*b*r, Steve Brust, Terry Pratchett,
and P.C. Hodgell. (This is NOT an exhaustive list!) I'm not certain
why, but I have a weakness for Mercedes Lackey. I go back and re-read
E.E. "Doc" Smith regularly. I cannot read Neil Gaiman - I can see the
horror underpinnings, and that makes it unreadable. (I loved it when
my wife read _Good Omens_, and read me the good parts.)

If you want an opinion on any other authors / books for calibration
purposes, feel free to ask!

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org