[LMB] Dag's family, was The Sharing Knife, Vol. 3: Passage -- catalog copy SP:

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 01:33:28 BST 2007

On 8/24/07, William A Wenrich <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>
> > Dag's family, I disliked and found unredeemable.
>

> I found Dog's sister-in-law to be quite likeable. His Mother, however, is a
> bitter controlling old woman, poison to the soul.
>
> <Speculation>
> Did anyone else pick up on Fawn's noticing that a lot of the Lakewalkers
> seem to be close kin. How large was the original gene pool?

Well, by now they have several communities of several thousand, so not
a big inbreeding worry.  I got the impression that the wizards of old
were a fairly big upper class, so I think they started out big enough
too.

We have a modern horror of inbreeding, reinforced by Heinlein and
other SF tropes (Barrayar, frex), but my impression is that it's not
actually that big a deal.  Most of human existence has involved fairly
small groups of people mainly marrying each other.  Even exogamous
(marrying out) societies draw from a limited supply.

I think Fawn's perception was skewed by her focusing on her new
family, so she looked at people to see how they related to her, and
also that small towns seem to keep track of even distant connections.

Beth Mitcham