[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Aug 26 20:00:25 BST 2007

If I want to calibrate book tastes, I ask people what authors they like --
not just one or two and not just from one genre. You can get a good
idea of what to recommend from that.

And, even if you have many similar tastes, there will be places where you
don't agree. Elizabeth Holden and I both love many common authors, but
there are some books & movies she's loved that do nothing for me, and vice
versa. I think a lot of it depends on squicks which throw you right out of
story, and what points give you the warm fuzzies because they remind you
of many similar wonderful reads. And, of course, what genres in general
you love, and what styles you have become accustomed to (pace Lois, I
cannot STAND Henry James' run-on paragraphs).

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Meg Justus wrote:
> Ah.  Then I won't be much help to you.  Except for Bujold (of course), my
> tastes don't seem to run the same way as most of the rest of this group.  I
> don't like the Liaden universe, and Heyer bores me to death,

Darn! Like my mother, who loved most historical fiction, but found Heyer
too arch. My father, OTOH, had a whole selection of Heyer books...

> and I don't read much other SF besides Bujold.

So what else do you read, Meg?

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"The time of great punishment is long gone, gone with the great sinners.
This is an age of pinpricks, constant little bloodlettings that never have
time to heal. And this Hell must suit the age, always."
-- Peter S. Beagle, _The Last Unicorn: The lost version_