[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Aug 26 20:04:00 BST 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan wrote:
> On 8/26/07, Scott Raun <sraun at fireopal.org> wrote:>
> > 2) _Old Man's War_, by John Scalzi (and sequels)
> >
> I really enjoyed Old Man's War and coincidentally just started reading
> the next one (The Ghost Brigades) a few hours ago.  I'm enjoying it so
> far as well.

I read all three in the trilogy to figure out why I hated them.
Technically, they're well-written, except for the fact that one whole
class of character is cardboard. But morally, ethically, and in terms of
respect for the reader, they have major problems. IMHO Scalzi's hommage to
Heinlein consisted of taking all that was bad in Heinlein and removing
almost anything that was good.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"The time of great punishment is long gone, gone with the great sinners.
This is an age of pinpricks, constant little bloodlettings that never have
time to heal. And this Hell must suit the age, always."
-- Peter S. Beagle, _The Last Unicorn: The lost version_