[LMB] OT: ISO Calibrated Book Recommendations

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sun Aug 26 20:21:38 BST 2007

Alayne:
> So what else do you read, Meg?

Lately?  A lot of research nonfiction.  For values of lately including up to
five years ago.

Oh.  You mean for pleasure (although research is a pleasure).  And fiction.

I like alternate history (by my definition not really a subset of SF), so I
like Flint and Turtledove and their ilk.  I admit to Lackey being a guilty
pleasure (the mere concept, let alone the execution of the 500 Kingdoms
books simply charms me).  And some other fantasy, but not a whole lot.  I
like to be able to imagine that the fantasy world can fit in somewhen/how in
the "real" world (which can include analogs of our world) so that my
disbelief can suspend properly, although it doesn't have to.  I like romance
(which is how I got hooked on Bujold), favorite authors including Loretta
Chase and Jo Beverley, as well as Jennifer Crusie and Jennifer Greene.  I
like historical fiction, especially eras that don't get covered very often
(no more Arthurian or Civil War novels, pretty please?).

Oh, and the only other series that "works" for me the same way that the
Vorkosigan series does, the Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters.  I
keep looking for other series where the characters have lives that go on
outside of the books instead of just existing inside of them, but so far I
haven't had much luck.

Megaera
who rereads a lot in order to go visit favorite characters